Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    With which, Greg? No question there are decent boxlocks out there under $3K. One can spend far less for a perfectly good Ithaca SKB or Browning BSS. But there are plenty of boxlocks on which $3K would only be the down payment.

Which ones, Greg? For sure, one can buy a perfectly good and reliable Ithaca SKB or Browning BSS for more like half of $3K. On the other hand, there are boxlocks out there on which $3K would only be a down payment.

Eagle
    Larry,
    American Sportsman like many different double guns, and will pay some very high prices for a particular gun they want to own, especially when the gun was pre owned by another famous American Sportsman like Hemingway or Singer/Movie Star like Bing Crosby. Heck I would love to own the little Belgium made .410 that President Ike owned and hunted with, or the 28 Gauge Bing Crosby owned to hunt Quail, Grouse and Woodcock. It would not matter to me whether the gun was a BoxLock or a SideLock.

However many Shooting Sportsman and Master Gun Makers believe the London SideLock double guns are the quality Bench Mark every other double gun should be measured against as Best Guns.
    Although much of this is prestige the engineering behind a fine Hodges Breech designed side lock double gun has few equals.

However the Fox simple BoxLock double gun with the Brown Rotary Bolt gives every engineering design ever developed a big run for it's money, and sometimes cost some very serious money on the open market. Further LeFever's BoxLock gun design, original in its's own right, can cost some big money also.

RGD/Dave
    Never worry about what others believe, walk in the way of the Lord.

Eagle
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryman Gun Dog View Post
    Larry,
    No doubt about it you can pay a lot more for a Box Lock double gun than $2,700. Especially some you have mentioned. However that does not mean I am willing to do it.

If I pay more than $3,000 for double gun it better be a good side lock double gun, maybe even a good Hammergun. You can pick up a fine pre war 16 Krieghoff Drilling right now in the May/June Vintage Gun advertisement in the SSM, for $2,400 and that sir is a darn fine gun.

There is also a Boss Hammer gun 16 Gauge for $3,200 in the same advertisement. Further please tell me why a man would purchase a now over priced box lock Parker double gun, instead of a well engineered J.P. Sauer 16 Gauge or a Boss 16 side lock Hammergun, either gun for around $3,000. Further there is a pre 13 #2 L.C. Smith in absolutely perfect condition available on Gun Broker for just over $3,000, with beautiful light Kraus Engraving and original French Walnut wood.

As an engineer I have been trying to understand this for many years. There is no accounting for taste, that is for darn sure. The max I will spend for a Box Lock double would be $3,000, most times $2,700, unless a great old LeFever original happens to mysteriously appear from someones collection.

RGD/Dave
    What arrogance you portray in your shallow comments.
    You're right though, in your statement "There is no accounting for taste" exemplified by the pictures of some of the 'firearms' you proudly post pictures of.

Eagle
    dam16sxs,

You have a right to your opinion no matter how misguided, arrogant and worthless it happens to be. Next post try adding something to the conversation instead of attacking another member, tell us why you disagree from an educated point of view.

RGD/Dave

Another one of those wonder L.C. Smith Double Guns!

Eagle
    Unfortunately, the photo is cluttered and underexposed; all one can make out is a hotspot on what appears to be stock of pretty common wood.

Was this a prize for winning your fourth grade spelling bee?

Eagle
    Moonshine,

The picture is as cluttered as your mind school marm. It was 6th grade, the wood is 100 year old Walnut, and darn nice stuff.

RGD/Dave

Eagle
    Didn't mean to hurt your feelings, just felt a little honest critique might inspire you to better efforts.

Photos like that one make us feel you're ashamed of your prize.

Try for something that lets folks see the gun, not the crap around it.

https://www.google.com/search?num=10...41.nhm5XbM_Z8c

Eagle
    Dave - As long as you continue to trash other people's favored brand or the design and features or other folks' favorite guns, expect more of the same.
    That Smith you show us appears to be in nice condition but with the quality of your picture we have no idea if it is refinished or in original condition. No matter though, it is still a low grade Smith, one of the sorriest side lock guns produced in America. You might have chosen Lefever or even one of London's best if you insist on continuing to decry the box lock as being inferior.
    And, as you have said, there's no accounting for taste. In my (humble) opinion the only thing an L.C. Smith has going for it is the larger canvas afforded for some of the best engraver's to display their art.