Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Fox A Grade

Eagle

New Fox A Grade

While at CSMC in July, I saw a couple of the new A.H. Fox A Grade shotguns going through the final production process. Yes, they are RBL guns with cosmetic differences. I found them to be very attractive with nicely done Fox touches.
    I currently have 3 RBL shotguns and have owned several others. I can say that they are very attractive, strong, well balanced, and dependable.
    Assuming you can get these for far less than MSRP, I think they will be a great addition for anyone looking for a quality "Made in USA" shotgun. These guns are 100% American guns with everything made "in house" with the exception of the choke tubes. Trulock made the 12ga. choke tubes. I'm assuming the 20ga. are CSMC.

Somehow $5K seems a bit high for a RBL gun with a Fox facelift.
    TOLERANCE is the virtue of a man without convictions.

Unfortunately, I don't know of too many guns made by Galazan that can be bought for far less than MSRP, at least not until they've been around for awhile. Might happen if you connect with someone who buys one of the A Grades and doesn't like it. Or if the price drops because they're not selling. Will be interesting to see what happens in response to these new "Foxes".

The guns certainly look to fit the needed bill...not my preference or cost level but if a buyer stays off the Internet then any such purchase will likely survive long enough to get beautifully used and wonderfully appreciated.
    Can't see what else matters.
    Do not forget pumpkin!

Eagle
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Brown View Post
    Unfortunately, I don't know of too many guns made by Galazan that can be bought for far less than MSRP
    My guess is that these guns will be discounted. These guns are being sold as Savage guns and they are marketing them.
    We'll see. My guess would be $4,200-4,300 and you'll be taking the gun home.
    Interestingly, the "light twelve gauge" RBL's were built on 16ga. receivers. I hope this will be the case with the Fox. I never liked the 12 gauge guns and sold the two 16ga. guns I had rather quickly....both were way too heavy and terrible stock configurations. The "quick change" recoil pad system added 6 oz. to an already bloated gun. I could row to shore with them but carrying them in the field was out of the question.
    I bought a Reserve RBL 16ga. last year on a visit to CSMC. They changed the buttstock and now it is very acceptable in every way.

Eagle
    If Tony could keep the double underbolt system that most quality doubles went with; and add the barrel extension with the square hole, and that classic roller bolt, (as the third fastener), this could have been an even better shotgun than the real Ansley H. Fox, which is to me the finest of all boxlock shotguns. The looks of that case hardened picture of the Savage/Galazon Fox is beyond beautiful.

troop
    justice is random, but my heros have always been old war marines and smokejumpers.

Eagle
    troop,
    I agree the Fox A Grade looks like a beautiful gun, however as Crazy Horse points out are you willing to pay 5K for a Box Lock double gun, even if it's made in the USA. There are lots of original classic double guns in great shape that can be had for less than 5K.

RGD/Dave
    Never worry about what others believe, walk in the way of the Lord.

Eagle
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryman Gun Dog View Post
    troop,
    I agree the Fox A Grade looks like a beautiful gun, however as Crazy Horse points out are you willing to pay 5K for a Box Lock double gun, even if it's made in the USA. There are lots of original classic double guns in great shape that can be had for less than 5K.

RGD/Dave
    Considering that these days, an AYA 4/53 (53 means a slightly better grade of plain wood) is over 4 K, and there will likely be a "street price" on this gun, It's not such a bad deal. Especially if the black walnut is as nice as that shown in the ad.

What you're buying is a basic Anson & Deeley dressed up like a Fox. The market is awash with used A&D's in excellent condition, for way less money. You're not getting the Fox design. Yes, you're getting nice wood on a gun that looks something like a Fox. But if you look around a bit, you can probably find an unfired Parker Repro in either 12 or 20ga for the same money, in a very nice case. And it's Parker on the inside as well as on the outside.

Eagle
    Despite these cries of foul from amongst "us chickens", CSMC and Savage have apparently decided to build and offer them. What group of lesser individuals do you think they're targeting?
    Bore, n. ; everybody else's synonym for "shotgun enthusiast."