Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 41 to 50 of 50
  1. #41
    Might well be the greatest all-around athlete ever.

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Brown View Post
    Might well be the greatest all-around athlete ever.
    Taking the tangent further,,, my vote would be Bo Jackson.
    Give me a dog that will run and a horse that will walk

  3. #43
    Dave, you think Bo could have won the Olympic decathlon as well as playing both Major League baseball and in the NFL?

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryman Gun Dog View Post
    Gentlemen,
    Years ago here in Pa, they renamed the town where Glen was born and raised, it's name is Glen Campbel, Pa. They are very proud of Glen and his family. Glen was a good man, his family are good people. Glen often said the most fun he ever had was making the movie True Grit with John Wayne. His career was just incredible and he never lost sight of his God, Family or Country. May God hold him in the palm of his hands now and forever more.

    RGD/Dave
    I didn't know marijuana had been legalized in Pennsylvania, but bourbon alone will not plant these alternative facts in people's heads. Dave, there's a communications director job in DC you'd be ideal for if you wish to apply!

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Brown View Post
    Dave, you think Bo could have won the Olympic decathlon as well as playing both Major League baseball and in the NFL?
    Larry, I think he could have won it with ease if he ever tried it. He qualified for the 100 meter finals in the NCAA meet as a freshman. His best time in the 100meters was 10.39 and he had a 9.54 time in the 100 yard dash. He was also very good in the throws and jumps. I'd guess the only two events he might not really excel are the 1500 meters and pole vault. I say the pole vault only because his size might hinder him, maybe not thou.
    Give me a dog that will run and a horse that will walk

  6. #46
    Eagle
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Way south of the Ohio River...
    Posts
    1,267
    Quote Originally Posted by High Noon View Post
    I didn't know marijuana had been legalized in Pennsylvania, but bourbon alone will not plant these alternative facts in people's heads. Dave, there's a communications director job in DC you'd be ideal for if you wish to apply!
    Awfully difficult to get an implanted idea out of his head.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Noell View Post
    Larry, I think he could have won it with ease if he ever tried it. He qualified for the 100 meter finals in the NCAA meet as a freshman. His best time in the 100meters was 10.39 and he had a 9.54 time in the 100 yard dash. He was also very good in the throws and jumps. I'd guess the only two events he might not really excel are the 1500 meters and pole vault. I say the pole vault only because his size might hinder him, maybe not thou.
    Dave, that's an awful lot of maybes. Thorpe actually DID those things. Had to give back his decathlon medal because he'd been paid something like $5 for playing in a semipro baseball game. This is also a maybe, since it didn't happen . . . but he was no longer young by the time he started playing pro football, the sport for which he is most famous. Born a few years too early. Pro football scarcely existed as a major sport until the 1920's, and he won his decathlon medal in the 1912 Olympics.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Brown View Post
    Dave, that's an awful lot of maybes. Thorpe actually DID those things. Had to give back his decathlon medal because he'd been paid something like $5 for playing in a semipro baseball game. This is also a maybe, since it didn't happen . . . but he was no longer young by the time he started playing pro football, the sport for which he is most famous. Born a few years too early. Pro football scarcely existed as a major sport until the 1920's, and he won his decathlon medal in the 1912 Olympics.
    Well, we will never be able to know. But Jim Thorpe was not nearly as big or nearly as fast as Bo Jackson. Google Bo Jackson "the throw" and you will see an example of how well he could throw. That would translate into a pretty good javelin throw.

    Jackson's size and strength would be big edges in the shot and discus. From what I can find on google, Jackson has better long jumps and high jumps than Thorpe. In Thorpe's obituary it said he could run a ten flat 100 yard dash. Jackson is nearly a half second faster.

    Jim Thorpe was a GREAT athlete, Bo Jackson is just a bigger, stronger, faster version of him. Bo Jackson did not just play in MLB and the NFL, he excelled in both of them.
    Give me a dog that will run and a horse that will walk

  9. #49
    Eagle
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Dallas, Tx
    Posts
    658
    Bo Jackson was quite an athlete in his day I remember him leaping for a catch in baseball, it looked like he had taken flight. I think he tried to do too much. I would have liked to seen him in sports longer.
    I've done few of the things I said I'd do and about all of the things I said I wouldn't

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Noell View Post
    Well, we will never be able to know. But Jim Thorpe was not nearly as big or nearly as fast as Bo Jackson. Google Bo Jackson "the throw" and you will see an example of how well he could throw. That would translate into a pretty good javelin throw.

    Jackson's size and strength would be big edges in the shot and discus. From what I can find on google, Jackson has better long jumps and high jumps than Thorpe. In Thorpe's obituary it said he could run a ten flat 100 yard dash. Jackson is nearly a half second faster.

    Jim Thorpe was a GREAT athlete, Bo Jackson is just a bigger, stronger, faster version of him. Bo Jackson did not just play in MLB and the NFL, he excelled in both of them.
    Dave, EVERYONE is bigger and faster now. Remember when "the Fridge" was a freak at over 300 pounds? Now you see all kinds of 300+ pound COLLEGE linemen. Thorpe won the Pentathlon (5 track events, finishing 1st in all of them except the javelin) as well as the decathlon, as well as competing in the individual high jump and long jump in the 1912 Olympic games. In the decathlon, he won the shot, high jump, 110 hurdles, and 1500. His score was not broken until 1926. He ran an 11.2 in the 100 (which he didn't win). The gold medal winner in the individual 100 ran 10.8 that year. Bo didn't even beat Jessie Owens' time from the 36 Olympics. But you've got to compare athletes, when you're talking about track and field, against those from the same era. And Thorpe, as an all-arounder, was head and shoulders above anyone of his era. And by the time the NFL started, Thorpe was 32 years old. But in college, he'd led that little Indian school from Carlisle to victory over mighty Army. Bo was everything you say he was . . . but his competition was also bigger, stronger, and faster than they were decades before Bo was on the scene.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •