Thread: Drunks

Eagle

Drunks

This is most likely a waste of time for most of you, but here goes. Intervention seems to be the Hollywood buzz word these days. Intervention is where you "rescue" some drunk that is in bad shape. Intervene, but don't expect anything, most drunks go back to hard drinking after 2 or 3 months. The rule a lot of us old drunks use is don't knock yourself out until the drunk comes to you, ie through the door at an AA meeting. There are a lot of ads on TV about going to rehab and medical attention. Promise a month or two for a cure. No one will get cured in a month or two. It generally takes 18 months to change the body over to where it doesn't need alcohol or drugs to function. It takes a life time to sober up and undue the damage done to ones life and love ones. The most successful recovering drunks are the ones that go to prison. The long period of incarceration is the only answer for the drunk that can't make it via the AA program

Drunks too often get a free pass from the courts, but they are potential killers. Too many innocent people are killed every year by a drunk behind the wheel of a car. Putting a drunk in with the prison population for a few years is an over kill. I would like to see the drunks placed in camps surrounded by razor wire in rural areas and over seen by councilors. Most drunks aren't a danger to society until they get behind the wheel. What I am advocating is a rehap facility where the drunk can be kept for a period of a couple years or more.

I'm a fan of AA because it is a program that takes time and I thought it was a bitch to go through. There are no quick fixes for alcoholism or drug addiction. Also there is a better chance the person will stay dry if the recovery process is painful. When I look at a drink I don't think of how good it can make you feel, but how much misery it can cause.
    I've done few of the things I said I'd do and about all of the things I said I wouldn't

David0311

Quote Originally Posted by pooch View Post
    This is most likely a waste of time for most of you, but here goes. Intervention seems to be the Hollywood buzz word these days. Intervention is where you "rescue" some drunk that is in bad shape. Intervene, but don't expect anything, most drunks go back to hard drinking after 2 or 3 months. The rule a lot of us old drunks use is don't knock yourself out until the drunk comes to you, ie through the door at an AA meeting. There are a lot of ads on TV about going to rehab and medical attention. Promise a month or two for a cure. No one will get cured in a month or two. It generally takes 18 months to change the body over to where it doesn't need alcohol or drugs to function. It takes a life time to sober up and undue the damage done to ones life and love ones. The most successful recovering drunks are the ones that go to prison. The long period of incarceration is the only answer for the drunk that can't make it via the AA programDrunks too often get a free pass from the courts, but they are potential killers. Too many innocent people are killed every year by a drunk behind the wheel of a car. Putting a drunk in with the prison population for a few years is an over kill. I would like to see the drunks placed in camps surrounded by razor wire in rural areas and over seen by councilors. Most drunks aren't a danger to society until they get behind the wheel. What I am advocating is a rehap facility where the drunk can be kept for a period of a couple years or more.I'm a fan of AA because it is a program that takes time and I thought it was a bitch to go through. There are no quick fixes for alcoholism or drug addiction. Also there is a better chance the person will stay dry if the recovery process is painful. When I look at a drink I don't think of how good it can make you feel, but how much misery it can cause.
    Excellent post when I quit almost 11 years ago I remember a statement another former drunk said and took it to heart
    Last edited by david0311; October 6th, 2017 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Error