Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Santa Ana Winds

Eagle
    I still have a ton of family in friends that are living right where the fires are raging. I think it's a sign from God that California has too many left wing nutters!### LOL!
    "My favorite word is 'The Word'." - Nancy Pelosi

Eagle
    My cousin and I took a quick trip to Yuma for doves yesterday afternoon and this morning. Very windy, probably gusting 40-50, one gust yesterday actually knocked me off my stool when I turned on a bird. Doves with the wind at their back seemed to be going by at 100mph. Tough shooting, but fun.Coming back into So Cal this afternoon, we got trapped in the evacuation traffic from the Lilac Fire in Bonsall/Fallbrook. Cousin used to be a fireman (long ago) and lives in Fallbrook. Hwys were blocked and mandatory evacuations in place, cops would not even let him get to his own home where his wife and kids were waiting. He finally worked his way home on back roads and he can see the orange glow from his upstairs windows, so he's packing now. This fire started about six hours ago and is out of control, 0% containment. In the 2007 fires he had to evacuate for four days but the house survived. Going to be a long night. Another hunting buddy had to shorten his elk trip to eastern Arizona this week because the Ventura County fire had jumped Hwy 101 and he had to get back to try to save his avocado groves. This area is a mess. Just heard on live TV feed on computer that Camp Pendleton is deploying crews to the Lilac Fire. Fallbrook borders Pendleton on the north.

Eagle
    Pendleton is quite a bit south of Ventura county. This fire must be massive. Is it in Orange county yet?
    I've done few of the things I said I'd do and about all of the things I said I wouldn't

Eagle
    Lilac Fire is a new one in North County San Diego, right at the border to Riverside County and all the way south to Pendleton. Started just before noon Thursday. Heard that the Marines were going to be doing night water drops on the fire because they have much better night ops capability than do the civilian fire depts, and a lot of the civilian crews and equipment had already been deployed to the fires in Los Angeles and Ventura. Heard this morning that the fire has spread onto the base. Nothing going on in Orange County that I am aware of.

Eagle
    I had thought the fire was following the mountains from Ventura to San Diego but I'm sure it couldn't jump Banning Pass. So this is a new one. They have fire breaks along all the ridges at Pendleton, but wind like you're experiencing will push the embers and a fire could start anywhere. I glad the Marines are just dumping water now. If they do get drafted into the fire fight I hope they intersperse those those kids with experienced fire fighters. The fire can jump behind you and box you in before you can build any kind of fire break and I hope they have lots of bulldozers, you can't fight a fire like this with shovels.
    I've done few of the things I said I'd do and about all of the things I said I wouldn't

Eagle
    As of of few days ago, a lot of the civilian FD bulldozers had been trucked north to fight the LA and Ventura fires. Serious shortage of equipment in some areas, including dozers and aircraft. Crews coming in from other states. Winds have quieted a bit today, but supposed to pick up over the weekend, and humidity still real low. Daytime temps back up into high 70s, climbing over the weekend.

Eagle
    I was trained to fight gas fires and to do so you have to use the chemical or water to tunnel into the source of the fire. Interesting being surrounded by fire, but you can't do that with a big raging fire like you all are facing because it is sucking up all the oxygen

Eagle
    As I understand it, you can't put these fires out. All you can do is surround them with a fire break, get control and let them burn themselves out. But with these winds, the fire breaks don't stop the spread so it's like Whack-A-Mole, and then they merge. Lilac Fire in Bonsall/Fallbrook is still zero percent controlled.

Eagle
    The next crisis will be mud slides when the rains start because the vegetation is gone. California is a beautiful place but it can't support the urban sprawl that has developed.

Eagle
    True. The state government just makes it worse through their general ineptitude.