Thread: Enigma GSP

Eagle

Enigma GSP

Hunted him last week with my lab.He did not find a single bird, lab found them all.He really did not even hunt.Took him out again by himself and he had 9 solid points which resulted in 7 birds.He did awesome!!Why won

Some dogs are lazy and more than willing to let a bracemate do all the work. I had the same issue with a young Gordon that played second fiddle to an experienced gsp. Took the Gordon out by herself and she did just fine.

If he's a young dog, he may grow out of that habit. If not, it may be that you'll just have to hunt him solo.

First Class
    dr duk, as larry said. i had two gsp's three years apart in age. the young dog would follow the older dog around and have a good old time. i split the dogs up and the young dog found his own woodcock and it was game on for him. they hunted together after that and the young dog would always back until i said help gus. my sons gsp joined my two and they would freeze him out. again i took him on his own and he found his own woodcock and the light bulb went on and we had three gsp's hunting together. my older dog was always alpha and the other two backing. the three tour up iowa and montana for years,they are all gone now.

Eagle
    Figured it out!When my lab gets too far out and I yell at her, my GSP shuts down and quits hunting.Put my lab up and he went back to finding birds.Let my lab back out and they both hunted together!

First Class
    dr duk, one thing is i dont yell, i use a single beep on the collar of the dog to far. dog behavior is funny,for example on my trips out west i stayed at motel 6 for there dog policy. one nite my younger dog got next to me. the older dog had his nose out on joint and went to the floor to sleep and would not get on the bed and sleep at the foot. i had to talk the younger dog into a switch and let him next to me. then i realized they were keeping count of next to me or the foot of the bed each nite. i also had to put the younger dog in my truck first then let the older dog in. one time i put the older dog in first and he would not the younger dog in. they hunted together and were kenneled together outside all day. i had to put a mid wall up in there 6'x12' kennel because the older dog was eating all the food.

Eagle
    Dogs are funny creatures!

Eagle
    One of my greatest pleasures is seeing the differences in personality and behavior between our two litter-mate sister labs,now seven years old. Such differences...I just shake my head watching them with their own mannerisms and habits.