Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Overloaded 28g

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Shots are Better View Post
    Well, there is Larry Brown's girlie cyper game playing at it's best. You left off the part right in front of that quote, when I was talking about the 40 yard thread ( https://bbs.shootingsportsman.com/sh...heasantsI%27ve), which by definition, means I was talking in the past tense. You are only fooling yourself Larry. Not only that, I've mentioned NUMEROUS times something on the order of "the bird population where you hunt has become like what WE HAVE in California". Just your usual game of leaving out part of the quote or point to try and prove your point. And it's failed again, with you looking the fool. And my God, every outdoor publication I've seen has articles about this pheasant decline -- even American Waterfowler deals with it.
    Really, Gary? That's REALLY your defense? You're correct that I did leave off your link to a topic that started in 2016 and runs for better than 50 pages . . . and likely has dozens (if not hundreds) of posts from you. Do you really think someone wanted to wade through all of that looking for one specific gem of wisdom from you? That's asking a lot. Much simpler if you'd modified your quote (which you likely would have done if I hadn't posted it, thus sticking you with it) and just put the "plenty of birds" and all the other present tense stuff in the past tense. Where it should have been in the first place. Instead of giving someone the correct recipe, you suggested that they needed to read an entire cookbook. Better a couple of clear, concise sentences than pages and pages of an old discussion.

So you DO know about the pheasant decline? Fine and dandy. Then all the more reason that you should make sure everyone knows you recognize that times have changed . . . by simply including something to the effect: "Times have changed since the days when Bob and Larry could regularly go out and shoot limits, passing on anything much over 30 yards because there were plenty of birds from which to choose." Too bad people (including you) didn't bring their dogs to the Midwest back then, as Bob and I suggested. People liked the old days, when they could go to SD (or Iowa, a few years longer ago) and when they did indeed have the opportunity to pick their shots. Because if they were confronted with a bird at marginal range, all they had to do was walk a bit longer and they'd find a closer-flushing rooster. But it's now quite clear, when Bob shoots 5 roosters in 16 days, that one can burn the occasional extra shell or so at longer range birds if one wants to put more birds in the bag . . . or, in most cases, ATTEMPT to do so. Which at least gives them more bang for their trip . . . if not necessarily more birds.

Eagle
    This thread my be overloaded. Not sure that there is anything left to say. Those old ships that were loaded with gold keep getting found at the bottom for a reason.

Pretty sure this horse is dead.

Shucks no! Saddle up that nag and ride like h(ll. There's so much more to be learned about overloaded 28 gauge shells and loooooong shots at Pheasants.

I really think that 3shots should gather up all of his data and personal experiences and submit them for an exclusive article in SSM. Not only would he enlighten the sporting world, but he could even make a few extra bucks and be able to afford a hunting trip to the Dakota's to execute his conclusions on the effectiveness of those overloaded 28's. Now, that's a plan!!!
    TOLERANCE is the virtue of a man without convictions.

Eagle
    sigh.......

Eagle
    C'mon now. What are the possibilities?...........https://www.ammoland.com/2014/11/wha...#axzz5Cq4tAjTi.............

From Larry Brown:
    Really, Gary? That's REALLY your defense? You're correct that I did leave off your link to a topic that started in 2016 and runs for better than 50 pages . . . and likely has dozens (if not hundreds) of posts from you. Do you really think someone wanted to wade through all of that looking for one specific gem of wisdom from you? That's asking a lot. Much simpler if you'd modified your quote (which you likely would have done if I hadn't posted it, thus sticking you with it) and just put the "plenty of birds" and all the other present tense stuff in the past tense. Where it should have been in the first place. Instead of giving someone the correct recipe, you suggested that they needed to read an entire cookbook. Better a couple of clear, concise sentences than pages and pages of an old discussion.*
    I guess you missed the "used to be" from this post on page 6
    Geez Larry, can I for a moment remind you of this thread, where you and you good old friend Bob chastised me to no end for wanting to use loads good out to 40/45 yards?*https://bbs.shootingsportsman.com/sh...d+pheasantsYes, many pages of me saying you need enough gun, and you and Bob saying you don't need to shoot at anything past 30 yards. So if you are as good of a pheasant hunter as you say you are, and your dogs are equally as good, then you don't need loads that shoot over 35 yards anyway. And while I'm going to be good to 45/50 yards when I hit the pheasant fields, there are people, especially in (used to be) pheasant rich areas who use a 28 gauge and with the right load (even in steel) are going to get their birds. My friend Randy kills as many or more pheasants a year than you do, and he does it almost all with a 28 gauge and 7/8 ounce of Fiocchi Golden Pheasant loads, or 3/4 ounce of HeviShot.An ounce of steel will get 'er done as well.

# Shots posted:
    Well, there is Larry Brown's girlie cyper game playing at it's best. You left off the part right in front of that quote, when I was talking about the 40 yard thread (https://bbs.shootingsportsman.com/sh...heasantsI%27ve), which by definition, means I was talking in the past tense. You are only fooling yourself Larry. Not only that, I've mentioned NUMEROUS times something on the order of "the bird population where you hunt has become like what WE HAVE in California". Just your usual game of leaving out part of the quote or point to try and prove your point. And it's failed again, with you looking the fool. And my God, every outdoor publication I've seen has articles about this pheasant decline -- even American Waterfowler deals with it.*
    Larry respond:
    Really, Gary? That's REALLY your defense?
    Not only a defense, but that's the hard facts of the matter. Get real Brown, and be a real man for a change.*

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Brown View Post
    Pretty sure this horse is dead.
    You can only wish, Larry. For years, I've (successfully) hunted the tough, sparse pheasant populations here in California, and learned long ago the value of being able to shoot at 40+ yards with the proper equipment. And you have long chastised me for that, as seen in the "40 yard pheasant" thread. You've often played the game of "I shot 72 pheasant last year and you shot 6, so wtf do you know" for years. And now, you want to tell me I've "missed the train" about what it's like to hunt in poor pheasant populations? And that after all those years of you preaching "we only shoot at less than 30 yards" and "there's no reason to shoot further than that no matter where you hunt", you've taken an about face because your populations are down and out (much like California's) and say that one needs to be able to shoot passed 30 yards. Well, of course they do -- and they always have. Classic two faced position, and classic Brown trying to pick a scab that doesn't exist, other than in his own mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Brown View Post
    But it's now quite clear, when Bob shoots 5 roosters in 16 days, that one can burn the occasional extra shell or so at longer range birds if one wants to put more birds in the bag . . . or, in most cases, ATTEMPT to do so. Which at least gives them more bang for their trip . . . if not necessarily more birds.
    That's the EXACT position I've taken for years concerning shooting pheasants here in California, that you time and time again, was extremely critical of. But now that you are faced with similar bird population issues, it's just fine and dandy to do. Shows exactly what a phooney you are, Brown.
    Last edited by 3 Shots are Better; April 16th, 2018 at 12:21 PM.