Thread: Dogtra T&B 2500

First Class

Dogtra T&B 2500 / SportDOG Upland Hunter 1875

Does anyone have any experience with the Dogtra T&B 2500? Pros and cons? I've been looking at picking up this unit for my setter, I usually hunt her with a bell and a shock collar, but she can be hard to find and hear in thick early season grouse cover. Hows the beeper and range you are able to hear the beeper on this collar? What are your thoughts on SportDog Upland Hunter 1875 with the shock collar and beeper on the neck?Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by Hunter B; April 17th, 2018 at 10:59 AM.

Eagle
    Hunter B,What you want is the Dogtra T&B 2000 or older, the Beeper is mounted on top of the Collar and the shock unit is under the dogs neck to balance the collar. The undermounted Beeper is no where near as good in the deep woods, as the top mounted beeper. In fact if you can get your hands on an 1800 unit they were the best T&B Collars, very hard to get one now, they have a smaller hand held remote control unit, but are a little more complex to use. I still have my testing unit and it's still the best Dogtra T&B collar that was ever made. For big running dogs you want the Beeper mounted behind the dogs ears, pointed toward the sky not the ground. I used these 1800 and 2000 Dogtra collars for many years, in my Grouse dog Training business, even did the initial testing for Dogtra. Get the 2000 T&B or older, unless your dog is a medium to short running dog. Remember to purchase both the Stubby and Longer 3" Antennas. RGD/Dave
    Never worry about what others believe, walk in the way of the Lord.

First Class
    Ryman Gun Dog, Just off a quick google search it seems like the T&B 2000 is discontinued, correct me if I am wrong. Is there any other brands of training and beeper collars you would recommend with the beeper on the neck? Or can you still find the 2000 model? I was always curious why they decided to put the beeper in front.... doesn't seem to make much sense. Thanks!

First Class
    1 have a dogtra 2002 (2 dog). i agree with ryman and yes its discontinued as i got the last one at cabelas hamburg, at a good price and a coupon and points. this was at least 7 years ago. i can hear the beeper good on flat land and a little less on hill / valley ground. the speaker or beeper is short sturdy and on a slight angle to the rear that deflects branches or barbed wire. i just had mine at collar clinic for new batteries. i would call them for reconditioned trade ins.

Was just going to ask whether maybe the Collar Clinic still has some rebuilt older Dogtras if that's what you're looking for.

I've got some older Tritronics I'm happy with. Picked up another transmitter and a collar with receiver from a friend who's switched to something else. (I'm good to go on beeper units.) Then one of my charging cradles went bad. Looked over the Collar Clinic inventory and picked up a couple cradles plus another charger. With any luck, given that I've had minimal issues with this old Tritronics stuff for quite some time, I think I'm in business until I'm no longer running dogs.

Life
    I started off with Dogtra collars because my breeder recommended them, but when I found I needed a beeper I could remotely trigger to find the dogs on point (I don't know how anyone hunts with a beeper in the constant mode), I thought about the T&B and called and found out they don't include a page (vibrate) function in that model (and didn't intend to add it), and that's how I call my dogs, so I tried the SportDOG Upland collar and am happy with it for 2 dogs. Simple controls you can use without looking at it, holds a charge a long time, the transmitter is very light, the beeper rides on top of dog's neck. You can change the batteries yourself when the time comes and don't have to send it out. If I am really in the thick stuff I use the Garmin GPS since the transmitter vibrates when the dogs are on point which is a big help when I can't see the dogs due to the cover.Bruce

First Class
    i have a call or locate button on my 2002 dogtra. when i hunt in n.j. the bear population is out of control in the best woodcock cover. i want those beepers beepin. i can shut that down and use call or locate on both collars from the control. i want the dog in sight when in woodcock cover. back in the day i would take the dogs to my best cover all summer and cut trails thru the cover with loopers. the property was a dairy farm when i was in high school and loaded with grouse i didnt know about woodcock then and was dogless. now it is state property no grouse and woodcock only and all grown up. the state has done some clear cutting and controlled burns on the property. my first 2 dog was innotek, it had the best features but endless problems and i had a 10 year warrenty that eased the pain.

First Class
    What are your thoughts on SportDog Upland Hunter 1875 with the shock collar and beeper on the neck?

Life
    That's the model that I have and I like it. As I said in my post, light, easy to operate, easy to service. The beeper has 3 modes: beep constantly and stop on point, silent but beep on point, and silent and user interrogates the unit manually. You can change these modes with your transmitter remotely as your heart desires. Easy to add a 2nd collar. You can select either tone or vibrate for directing the dog, plus multiple layers of correction with an easy to use thumbwheel switch to increase stimulation if your pup thinks maybe you aren't really serious. Nick and constant stimulation modes. I pretty much only use the vibrate function any more, and use the electricity as an E-stop when I absolutely must stop the dogs and they ignore the vibration, like when chasing a coyote. I think it's a good choice for the sport hunter and amateur dog trainer. I've had mine 4 years, had issues with one of the beepers but they replaced it even after the warranty was expired. I am satisfied with mine. Bruce

Eagle
    Gentlemen, Larry was trying to guide you in the right direction, go to Collar Clinic, put your name on the list for an older model Dogtra T&B. They will call you when they have a rebuilt 1850 - 2000 for you to purchase, this is how my clients got their older Dogtra Units. The Dogtra T&B Collars can be programed in the master initiated mode or in the auto mode if you happen to like the noise. The older units are still the best on the market, finding one is becoming harder because all the Grouse hunters want them. I have been recommending them for many many years.RGD/Dave
    Never worry about what others believe, walk in the way of the Lord.