Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Eagle
    Bob - not disagreeing with your reply about down the road, but I was referring to the mid-east, not the USA.

Eagle
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
    Bob - not disagreeing with your reply about down the road, but I was referring to the mid-east, not the USA.
    I didn't understand your question. Not having any personal exposure to the ME and knowing only what I see in daily news releases and what was included in world history classes, I am under the impression that their civil history has been turmoil since at least the time of the crusades.

If that is so, than no, I would not expect things to be any different there in fifty or a hundred years from now. Not unless the shear mass of their bludgeoning population forces a world wide conflict, due to their radical numbers increasing as the population numbers by more and more millions than what their lands will support.
    B.C.

Eagle
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith E. Carlson View Post
    There appears to be little doubt that the military operation was successful. -----------------The questions are about how American interests were advanced and whether POTUS has the authority to conduct such an operation that does not threaten US interests, not involve ISIS nor al Qaedea or defense of ally Israel.
    The president has that constitutional authority, there's little to no question in that regard. Was this move in America's interest? Given the Obama thin red line incident, I'd say so. When dealing with thug regimes you must negotiate from a position of strength. Most think this was an appropriate and measured response to Assad's chemical attack on innocent civilians. This action was not executed unilaterally, as Britain and France both participated in the air strikes. Critics of Trump will question everything he says or does. Most of it is left wing noise.
    A French bible says drink red at dark to fight the night in our souls

Eagle
    I do not understand how Syria had any chemical weapons to use in the first place? President Obama told an audience in the Philippines four years ago that::: It turns out we are getting chemical weapons out of Syria without having initiated a strike.::: And Secretary of State John Kerry stated during a July 2014 appearance on Meet the Press :::With respect to Syria, we struck a deal where we got 100 percent of the chemical weapons out.:::
    Ever get the feeling that you've been cheated?

Eagle
    Am I to believe that Syria did not hold up their part of the friendly bargain to remove and destroy 600 metric tons of their chemical weapons? Why I am shocked. SHOCKED I TELL YOU! SHOCKED!

Eagle
    DB -- Do not think that it is "clear cut" that POTUS has the authority.-------------------This article from his 2017 strike raises the question.-------------https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/07/us/politics/military-force-presidential-power.html.------------------Likely to go nowhere, but interesting.

Eagle
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith E. Carlson View Post
    DB -- Do not think that it is "clear cut" that POTUS has the authority.
    Aw pashaw. Trump simply mutters, or tweets, the words Kinetic Military Action and the problem is solved.

Eagle
    Quote Originally Posted by SxS Shooter View Post
    I do not understand how Syria had any chemical weapons to use in the first place? President Obama told an audience in the Philippines four years ago that::: It turns out we are getting chemical weapons out of Syria without having initiated a strike.::: And Secretary of State John Kerry stated during a July 2014 appearance on Meet the Press :::With respect to Syria, we struck a deal where we got 100 percent of the chemical weapons out.:::
    Correctamundo! Another example of Obama foreign policy failures. Worst President in U.S. history.
    A French bible says drink red at dark to fight the night in our souls

Anyone remember the stories--at least some of them verified by an Iraqi general who defected--that Saddam was getting his chemical weapons out of Iraq, and some of them were shipped to Syria?

Eagle
    That was intel of the day.
    Bore, n. ; everybody else's synonym for "shotgun enthusiast."